Lebanese Lentil and Rice Pilaf with Blackened Onions
This has got to be one of my favorite dishes ever, vegan or not! Lentils are high in fiber and really cheap! I would definitely suggest keeping this recipe on hand. I make it all the time and everyone loves it!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed, picked over
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice (you can use any grain, I like whole wheat Orzo pasta)
- 2 large onions, sliced
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté until onion softens, about 4 minutes. Add broth and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in rice; return to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice and lentils are tender, about 15 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions; sauté until soft and beginning to blacken, about 20 minutes.
Season pilaf to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to plates; top with blackened onions.
tags: vegan recipe. recipe. cheap. green lentils. onions.
- true-foods reblogged this from maggiemakes
- seren-pen likes this
- o-c-e-a-n-t-e-a-r-s likes this
- dejavutokeandpoke likes this
- xkylehasheartx likes this
- christiaanprime likes this
- acupofelizabest likes this
- keep-your-chin-up-darling likes this
- princess--of--cups likes this
- kristinelise likes this
- maggiemakes posted this